Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Pet Phones

Weird relationships people establish with their phones

The other day I woke up and my phone was pitch-black,
unworkable and seemly un-fixable
I desperately tried to turn it off and on
I took the battery out and put it back in
I connected to my car charger
I watch the little red light go on - hopehopehope
And immediately off

Heavy dark-grayed clouds stormed over my little spot on the freeway

I felt my whole world falling down into a gray blurry
I wondered if the boy-toys called twenty five times even though it wasn't even weekend
I wondered how many work calls I missed
How many e-mails I wouldn't know I got until I get to the office in 20 endless minutes
What if something happened to my family in Brazil
What if I get into an accident, how am I going to call someone????
I felt an immediate urge to call all my friends
Acquaintances
All the people I haven't talked in years were now suddenly a necessity to be reached

I felt lonely in my car
Unreachable
I got stressed out

After many frustrated costumer service calls and all kinds of different procedures to follow
After listening to the hideous automatic voice giving me every option I don't want
and listening to old kylle Minogue electronically singing badly out of my lousy speakers
After even contemplating sending the broken-english representative to hell
I decided to plug my phone charger into the wall outlet as a last try
Just because I had to know I done it all under my power

At first it tricked me for a second
The light went on and off again as the first time
I got so disappointed that I left right there
Connected to the outlet
Simply having given up
And all of a sudden
No shit
There it was the bright and shinny little fucker ironically smiling at me
Perfectly functioning

I realized that I'm so obsessed on having it handy that over the whole year that I've had this particular crack-berry I'd never let it completely run out of battery
It was the first time that my phone ever died

I then realized that
I feed it better than I water my plants
I maintain it better than my shaving schedule
I sleep with it right next to my head
Hoping to sleep deep enough not to wake up with its notifications
And it's the first thing I look at when I open my eye in the morning
(Am I lacking a romantic relationship in my life???)
It's better taken care of than my ex-boyfriend's cats
It's more valuable than my wallet (really????)

I can hear from miles away the first vibrations before the ring comes out
Excitement pumping my chest
Who is it?
Who could it be?
Sudden hope of don't know what

I get the news
I share my pics
I e-mail my dad in Brazil
I sex-text the loved one
I check my calendar and say no to jobs I want
I play video games waiting for my Starbucks
I conference call/Video call/Ichat/Mapquest/save passwords/set alarms/file people's personal info/Google anything I can think of
I live through this little technological brick on my hands

Walking around tinseltown I watch random people speaking out loud to no one
Too involved in their blue-tooth conversations
Lost with all the different voices in their heads
Having their calls dropped
Three people on call-wait
E-mails running into text messages into peoples messages into live people words
Bombs over Bagdah in their ears
Every little sound coming out of it announcing possibilities
All through that tiny hole
All at once


I spend more time on my phone than with anyone else
Fucking modernity
So connected to people's gadgets
So far from their live presences



P.S.: How ironic life is, guess which job I'm working while I write this: Iphone...