Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Elevator

When I walk in the hall he’s already standing there. At first, he dismissively glances at me, but it seems that his eyes are immediately drawn back. He quickly stares, he notices that I noticed. Our eyes meet and quickly run separate ways.

Then there is the mirror. It takes a second until we realize we are both checking each other out through the mirror. A smirk. I don’t know where to put my hands; I don’t know how to keep still. I push the button knowing that he has already done it, our eyes play hide and seek.

The door opens. He holds back motioning for me to get in first.
“thank you”, “it’s a pleasure”, “lobby?” “yes”

I’m looking away sensing his presence. I can smell him, I hear his breath. He puts his hands in his pockets, he is looking at me. Is he a hotel guest? Is he alone? Where is he heading? How does it feel to be in his arms?

Our eyes keep meeting back and forth, grasping details.

I notice his clothes first
Tailor quality silk black suit
Turquoise button shirt underneath
Purple tie with thin yellow stripes
Shiny black dress shoes
Breitling Watch

He’s tall. He looks fit. Strong but soft hands, carefully messed up hair. Dark complexions. Blue eyes, sterling blue. Thick bottom lips. He opens a smile, he’s sizing me up. His head slightly turns to the side, as it to look into it better. He notices I'm observing him and turns his head away. The elevator stops. I sigh. We both motion to get out and our shoulders touch softly bouncing each other back. The door opens.

We touched, it reminisces. Our eyes rest in each other.

Two people stare at us trying to get into the elevator. We step back to opposite sides. Our observed voracity flows through the air openly, you could feel it. The four of us stand in a silence that could crash thin glass.

I look at him, he looks back, I look down. I get shy, very shy. It hits me how timid I can get when facing strangers that I’m attracted to, I simply tend to shut down and scare myself away.

He’s now openly watching me. I glance and his eyes linger for more. I motion to search for something in my purse. I feel silly for faking it, I stop. I lean against the wall and look up. He’s staring right into my eyes. I’m trying hard to escape from his hypnosis. What if he could be The One for me?

The door opens, the couple leaves first. We stand motionless for a split second, our eyes meet one last time. I wonder.

I walk away in large steps pretending purpose. I’m actually just a scared cat.

He says something to me from far. I don’t look back.